List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as Meta Distribution?
From:       Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-03-29 16:11:16

Michael Haubenwallner:
> Hi people,
>
> I've been cooking a thought for some time now, and now I'm inviting you
> to have a look at and share your thoughts about it:
>
> The title could be somehow like:
>
>         How to use "Gentoo, the Meta Distribution" to create my own
>         "Enterprise Distribution"?
>
> When I say "my own Enterprise Distribution", I mean doing my own arch
> testing and stable keywords, for a small number of packages - less than
> 200 here including @system.
>
> "Doing my own stable keywords" does not mean to throw away upstream
> (=Gentoo) keywords, but reuse them as unstable keywords for my
> distribution, so my distro-users can easily emerge packages which are
> either upstream-stable or even -unstable, assuming they know what they
> do then.
[...]
> Thank you for your time reading until here!

Michael,

this sounds like a *really* good idea to me (I guess I can think of your
background you plan to use this for), this would make Gentoo a bit more
"meta" and would also make it easier to build distributions upon Gentoo.
I look forward to discuss this idea in "real life" in Graz next month
with you and GLEP it :)

wkr,
Tobias