List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] gSoC add Multiple Repository support to sys-apps/portage
From:       Timothy Redaelli <drizzt () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-03-26 17:59:59

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 22:34:00 Caleb Cushing wrote:
> The basic idea is to be able to easily use overlays (without layman).
> I believe this to be a pre-req to the "Cache Sync" idea listed on the
> wiki.
>
> each repo should be able to have a differently defined way of sync-ing
> (within predefined standards), I think they should also be capable of
> defining the way that Manifests are handled (I don't think git needs
> more than distfile manifests, other vcs may be similar). Supported
> repository types should include rsync, git, svn, hg, bzr, darcs, cvs.

Iirc portage can already sync from rsync, cvs and git

> each SYNC_METHOD should be isolated from the others in code so that
> they can be improved/extended easily.
>
> comments, additions welcome

I think we can reuse the paludis concept of master_repository or we can
implement a repository inheritance concept.
So we can have a derived repository that get the parent repository eclasses
and profiles as base.

--
Timothy `Drizzt` Redaelli
FreeSBIE Developer, Gentoo Developer, GUFI Staff