List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Detecting Baselayout2/openrc - no-symlink profiles leading to breakage
From:       Matthias Schwarzott <zzam () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2009-01-20 14:17:01

On Sonntag, 18. Januar 2009, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> I'm raising this as an extension of bug 253076, but also because I see
> the potential for danger.
>
> To date, for an init script that has baselayout2-specific behavior, we
> have had some variant of [ -e /lib/librc.so ] in the init script.
>
> On a multilib profile with no symlinks and a 64-bit userspace, the .so
> file would be installed in /lib64/librc.so, and the check would
> mistakenly have the wrong result.
>
> There's one fix that has started to turn up already, but I'm not sure if
> it's going to be safe always: [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]
> This happens to work as openrc installs that init script.

I changed udev to only check for /etc/init.d/sysfs. See Bug #252493.
The only place where librc checking is kept is only run on older
openrc-versions which are no longer available via ebuild.

I hope this will make udev work on any system regardless of how /lib and stuff
is linked. (For further analysis perhaps someone on a multilib profile can
check where udev still has /lib/xxx hardcoded instead of /lib64/xxx or
similar).

Should I nevertheless add such a blocker to udev or will that make update
unnecessary complicated?
RDEPEND="!<sys-apps/openrc-0.4.0"

Regards
Matthias