List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Saving package emerge output (einfo, elog, ewarn, etc.) somewhere official
From:       "Alec Warner" <antarus () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-11-30 21:02:03

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Peter Volkov wrote:
>> Seems that we already have everything you dreamed about:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
>>
>> Take a look at PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM. It even can send that messages by
>> mail :)
>
> This is all cool, indeed!  :)
>
> I suspect, however, that most users have never played with these
> variables.  I think that saving this info in the portage db or making it
> more default/official in some way could be a great help.  The core
> problem is, I think, that many users do not know where to look when
> having trouble, so they may not even realize that what they need is in
> the log info.

I suspect that no one really disagrees with more communication; but I
imagine many are not willing to put time into it.

So I suggest you come up with better ideas to communicate to users
about the existing logging solutions and then
implement them ;)

The gentoo homepage is one way, the GMN is another, Forums is a third.
 Just write one article about it and publish it everywhere.
Also Gentoo-Wiki ;)

-Alec