List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev]  Re: [RFC] What features should be included in EAPI 2?
From:       Ryan Hill <dirtyepic () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-08-27 3:15:11

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:27:03 +0100
Steve Long <slong@rathaus.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> >> b) Does it really matter?
> >
> > In the grand scheme of things, no. In the grand scheme of things,
> > you only *need* a single src_ function. From a maintainer
> > convenience perspective, however, src_prepare is marginally more
> > useful than having a split src_configure.
> >
> How so?
>
> From a user point of view, and from a maintenance point of view,
> src_configure is very useful.

As a maintainer I would find it very useful to be able to do `ebuild
foo-1.ebuild <phase>` to get the build dir into following states:

a)  pristine source (unpack)
b)  patched, seded, eautoreconf'd, or
everything-else-we're-doing-in-src_unpack-right-now'd (prepare)
c)  ./configured (configure)
d)  compiled (compile)

the state between a) and b) is very useful as anyone who has
gone back and forth commenting and uncommenting epatch/eautoreconf lines
in src_unpack (ie. everyone) can attest.  between c) and d) would be
less useful for me but still quite welcome.

--
gcc-porting,                                      by design, by neglect
treecleaner,                              for a fact or just for effect