List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=live (instead of PROPERTIES=live-sources
From:       "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-08-23 22:44:16

Zac Medico wrote:
| Hi everyone,
|
| Please consider a PROPERTIES=live value that, when set in an ebuild,
| will serve to indicate that the ebuild will use some form of "live"
| source code that may vary each time that the package is installed.
| The intention is for PROPERTIES=live to have a relatively pure and
| simple meaning. Therefore, the definition is intentionally more
| narrow than the definitions previously suggested for the related
| RESTRICT=live [1] and PROPERTIES=live-sources [2] values. In the
| future we may add additional (orthogonal) properties to represent
| other things like locking [3].
|
| Since there is no direct correspondence between what PROPERTIES=live
| represents and any existing ebuild metadata (though there is some
| limited correspondence with various INHERITED values), addition of
| PROPERTIES=live will provide metadata that is useful in at least a
| few ways:
|
|  * Make the @live-rebuild package set [4] more accurate.
|
|  * Make repoman's LIVEVCS.stable check more accurate.
|
|  * Add exemptions to repoman's KEYWORDS.missing and KEYWORDS.dropped
|    checks.

Although an exemption to KEYWORDS.missing is in itself already a good
progress, imho it would be even better if repoman, pcheck and other QA
testing tools complained if there were any keywords set for an ebuild
with PROPERTIES="live".

| Do the name and definition of this PROPERTIES=live value seem good?
| Would anybody like to discuss any changes to the name, definition,
| or both?

Seems a good idea.

Thanks for all the work on the good proposals you've submitted lately to
the dev ml.

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_164fd8d5d513121ab772509d06a7b27a.xml

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_187585c5d49b69034183719ff473710d.xml

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_7b5e4610fe1802149960ae5365bdedce.xml