List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  Re: News item: World file handling changes in
From:       Vaeth <vaeth () mathematik ! uni-wuerzburg ! de>
Date:       2008-08-20 8:13:42

Duncan wrote:
> I believe that's the way it is now, yes.  Thus what we're proposing would
> simply keep the legacy meaning for world (and system) as they are, while
> @world (and @system) would refer to the specific sets.
>
> Now that it has been suggested, I do believe that's the simplest way to
> handle it, since it would involve no change at all for the existing
> words.

One could avoid the confusion about world != @world completely,
if one would simply rename @world into e.g. @worldfile

Then one could define without any ambiguity
  world = @world = @worldfile + @system
(and of course, one should then let @system not be a @worldfile candidate,
at least by default).

I am aware that currently @world is already implemented, but only in
testing portage and probably not too many user scripts have been converted
to this already (resp. _if_ they have been converted, they have most
probably been converted from "world" to "@world @system" which would
not harm either).