List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] X11 on Lemote Fulong (Loongson 2E) -- 'lm2e'
From:       Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-07-31 3:50:46

On 13:23 Thu 31 Jul     , Stuart Longland wrote:
> 	An alternative however, I'd like to propose is the addition of a 'lm2e'
> local USE flag to the affected ebuilds, which are:
>
> 	x11-base/xorg-server
> 	x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
> 	x11-libs/libdrm
>
> 	It'll be unmasked in the Cobalt profiles (which the Loongson platform
> shares), and can simply be added to the USE variable on these systems.
> It won't affect Cobalt as I believe running an X server on those systems
> would be a pointless exercise.
>
> 	If there aren't any complaints, I'll look into getting this done
> possibly next weekend.  At the moment, zhenghe (one of the boxes here)
> has been reformatted, I'm setting up Gentoo 2008.0 on it, so I'll be
> testing everything as I go.

Stuart,
I'm glad to hear you've made progress on this and gotten things working!

As soon as you get this code upstream, I will be happy to add these
patches. I'm not interested in adding patches that aren't upstream yet
to any X packages.

I looked at the xf86-video-ati patch in the loongson overlay and it's
huge. It's clearly GPL-licensed, presumably from the GATOS project, and
that makes it unacceptable for upstream. I'm presuming it is straight
from the GATOS folks and thus is just adding TV-out.

The libdrm and xorg-server patches look more reasonable and shouldn't be
terribly problematic to get upstream.

--
Thanks,
Donnie