List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: Make developer profiles more difficult to select
From:       "Alec Warner" <antarus () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-07-20 19:30:54

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> Reading around on the net, it amazes me how many people are using developer
> profiles for their Gentoo because they think it's for software developers
> and don't see that it's for Gentoo developers and not intended for end
> users.  They know the "Developer" installation profiles of other distros and
> think Gentoo's profiles are just the same (on those distros, selecting a dev
> profile just means it installs GCC + dev libs + IDEs by default.)
>
> Some kind of warning or other mechanism that does selecting this profile
> without knowing what you're doing would be a good idea.

I don't think the profiles are not intended for end users; if they are
only intended for developers
we could just exclude them from the rsync tree.

That being said I think it is fairly trivial to rename it to
'ebuild-developer'.  Screw all these stupid warnings and
VARS_IN_ALL_CAPS>

Just name shit properly and I'm sure folks can probably figure it out.

I feel very badly for the 'developers' running with 'stricter' or
other insane portage features that basically make the distro unusable
;p

-Alec