List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] strange portage behaviour
From:       Alin Năstac <mrness () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-07-19 6:09:05

Zac Medico wrote:
> It's common for people get get confused like this by the "confmem"
> behavior that's built into portage's merge process. You can use
> --noconfmem to disable it.
Ah, I didn't knew we had this option, thanks for the info. However, a
user complained in [1] that net-dialup/ppp failed to update its
/etc/ppp/ip-{up,down} scripts.

I don't know exactly how it works, but I presume portage will install
the protected files if the checksum of the new file present in $D is
different than the one who was there when the old version were
installed, right?

[1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-699957.html