List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Recent changes wrt python.eclass
From:       Ali Polatel <hawking () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-05-29 18:56:44

Hi people,

All python_mod_* functions are now ROOT aware. I've also modified them
to die if they aren't run in expected phases. Also I plan to make byte
compiling functions print a warning when *.py{c,o} are installed under
/usr/share which is a FHS violation.

The tree and python developer's guide are updated to reflect the
changes.

As a last thing, I want to give some usage notes here so it's
clear for everyone.

* If your package uses distutils.eclass, generally you have nothing to
  worry about. By default it'll byte compile python modules under
  /usr/$(get_libdir)/python${PYVER}/site-packages/${PN}. If your package
  installs a directory with a name other than ${PN} set PYTHON_MODNAME
  to the name of directory.

* python_version should only be called if you need any of PYVER*
  variables. If your package only uses python.eclass - and not
  distutils.eclass, you need to call it when you want to use $python
  too. ( Note: Right now python_version is buggy wrt ROOT. This is the
  next thing I'm going to fix.)

* Don't call python_mod_cleanup with PYVER like:
  Wrong:
  	python_mod_cleanup \
		/usr/$(get_libdir)/python${PYVER}/site-packages/$PN

  This is wrong because the python version may change in the meantime.
  Instead use:
  	python_mod_cleanup \
		/usr/$(get_libdir)/python*/site-packages/$PN

  python_mod_cleanup has a safe default so you can usually avoid passing
  any arguments.

These are important stuff I can remember by the time I'm writing this
mail. Python devguide will be updated with these useful information
soon.

So if anything is not clear and/or you have any questions feel free to
bug/poke/stab me :-)

--
Regards,
Ali Polatel