List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Running a script to remove useless deps like virtual/libc from ebuilds
From:       "Denis Dupeyron" <calchan () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-12-31 9:18:49

On Dec 30, 2007 6:50 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I have a script coming up that can remove virtual/libc dependencies from
> ebuilds automatically but can this be done safely for all ebuilds are
> are there ebuilds in system that really need this dep for stage building
> etc?

FWIW:
"However, packages which are included in the system target, or are
dependencies of system target packages, should generally include a
complete dependency list (excluding bootstrap packages). This makes
emerge -e system possible when installing from a stage 1 or stage 2
tarball."

From the last paragraph on implicit dependencies in the devmanual at:
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html

> Are there other deps to like this that could be removed? At least
> sys-libs/zlib could be one.

I suppose all packages in /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages are
suitable candidates. And maybe profile-specific implicit dependencies
on profile-specific packages too, but those would be more complicated
to locate.

Denis.
ÿøžÚ(ýׯþ§¶Šÿ¢¸&j)bž	b