List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  Re: [RFC] Some new global USE-flags
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-12-28 18:53:17

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 05:53 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
>
> >> branding: Enable Gentoo specific branding
> >> [questionable, as used for splashes/shortcuts/artwork]
> >
> > Well, my personal opinion here is that we should enable this by default
> > on *at least* the desktop profiles, as providing sensible defaults and
> > branding isn't outside the scope of the project.  We still stay as close
> > to upstream as possible with this stuff and only use it for branding or
> > optional Gentoo-specific minor config changes.  Also, it can still be
> > disabled for people who want everything as upstream intended.
> >
> I have no objection to it being flagged on by default in desktop profiles,
> but "Gentoo-specific minor config changes" concerns me, since I take it as
> given that installing for a specific distro implies config changes to work
> with that distro, and not having those because I have turned branding off
> sounds bad for me as a user and seems a confusion of purpose. (It could
> lead to more optional config changes bundled in future which wouldn't be
> apparent without knowledge of the ebuild.)

Well, by this I meant something like bug #170059 which would mean
changing the default home page (minor config change) to something
Gentoo-specific.  Not all config changes are for required functionality.
Sorry, I had assumed that people on this list would be technical and
able to realize this without it being explicitly spelled-out.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead