List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds	(.ebuild-EAPI)
From:       Rémi_Cardona <remi () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-12-27 16:02:56

Jan Kundrát a écrit :
> Roy Marples wrote:
>> I understand that metadata in a file name is pure and simple hackery
>> that has no place here and the GLEP is a flimsy attempt to justify it.
>
> Do you count "version" as metadata?

I'll bite :)

Version numbers aren't metadata because they uniquely identify the
ebuild/package.

EAPI on the other hand brings no such information to identify the
package. Furthermore, the GLEP proposes that no 2 ebuilds with the exact
same version may exist regardless of different EAPIs.

In the end, ${CATEGORY}/${PF} is like the key in a RDB table. The EAPI
is just extra info.

I'll just wrap this up by saying that I don't have an opinion on whether
putting the EAPI inside the ebuild or outside is better for the complex
operations involved in portage. I'll leave that to the more informed devs :)

Cheers,

Rémi