List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev]  Re: Re: New lists and their usage
From:       Steve Long <slong () rathaus ! eclipse ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-07-25 8:51:50

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>> Yeah, you should take that to -project or some other suitable list :P
>
> Once some consensus is made and it actually becomes policy, sure.  Until
> then,  I'm going to continue to use this list for the same things it's
> been used for up until now.  Once we've agreed upon how the lists should
> be used, then I see no issue with using them that way, meaning *this*
> conversation does belong here, as there's been no consensus amongst our
> developer pool, nor a completed Council decision to change the policy.

Well I think there's been a consensus that project is for non-technical
discussion. Usage policy for lists would seem to fall under that.

> Like I said, the two proposals I had seen were:
>
> - gentoo-dev-announce
> - gentoo-project
>
> I hadn't seen anyone asking for both, so we've now got to figure out
> whether to drop one list or repurpose one of them.  Personally, I'm for
> repurposing gentoo-dev-announce to be a global "development" announce
> list with no reply-to munging/filtering and developer-only posting.  I
> think doing this would be complimentary to gentoo-project and would be
> useful to me, allowing me to know about conversations on other lists and
> allowing *me* to *choose* when I want to participate, which is a vast
> improvement from what we have had until now.

That sounds like an effective use of dev-announce, although it would make
more sense to keep it as pure announcements, which would mean reply-to
would be dev. Otherwise, it could become the public dev-only mailing list
which was proposed for this list, and there was definitely no consensus
established for that move.