List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: SCM choices
From:       "Alec Warner" <antarus () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-03-31 19:20:56

> Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:58:59 -0400
>> Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Please, everyone, go back and read the actual *facts* that were
>>> discovered using copies of *our* repositories before going around
>>> using data from outside sources.
>>
>> Alec Warner's test results are here, of course:
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/cvs-migration.xml
>
> So can we please discuss what distributed SCM is best for the tree or
> likely to be in the future and
> what hard data obtained with what tests should be gathered to rank SCMs
> and what feature differences
> there are and how much we should care about them?
>
> Marijn

I think the main point of this discussion is you can discuss all you like
but no one is going to switch because of a discussion.  If you want to
convert the tree to something else; get two boxes, do the conversion, get
some data and then present it.  If darcs has reasonable benifits over the
current system then bonus; you would have data to back up any other points
you have in a discussion to switch.  But without that data you have
nothing.  Our tree is not a 'normal' dataset for many of these systems.

Here are some stats from the 6th of last April.

Total CVS Files:            234672
Total CVS Revisions:       1309603
CVS Repos Size in KB:       783590
First Revision Date:    Fri Jul 28 00:35:42 2000
Last Revision Date:     Thu Apr  6 01:02:36 2006

We do around 10k revisions a month; so add another 120000 revisions
(roughly) to that count to get to this year.

-Alec