List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  Re: New ALSA maintainers
From:       Daniel Drake <dsd () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-03-29 16:36:34

Steve Long wrote:
> This is perfectly reasonable where it is a card with drivers in both, but
> alas-drivers supports a broader range of hardware, eg the echo audio cards
> (guess who has one ;) which have never been available in-kernel.

These were added to the kernel as of 2.6.18.

But it is still an interesting point: how does bug handling work when
the drivers are actually not in the kernel at all?

I think the alsa herd would be expected to handle bugs here, although
I'd readily help them out as I do for other external driver maintainers.

> I guess I'd like some assurance that as long as alsa-drivers supports
> hardware for which there are no kernel drivers, it will at least be
> available in the portage tree.

Yes, I think we can promise that, provided that the drivers have some
level of support upstream too. I did a quick check and it appears that
right now, there are no drivers provided by alsa-driver which are not in
the kernel source.

> It might be worth stripping duplicate drivers out of alsa-drivers altogether
> so that the two might even co-exist? Would eliminate the bug duplication in
> any event.

This is something that can be considered later, although I have my doubts...

Daniel