List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Retirement plans for =net-nds/openldap-2.{1,2}*
From:       Doug Goldstein <cardoe () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-02-24 18:00:24

Josh Saddler wrote:
> Robin H. Johnson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is an announcement that =net-nds/openldap-2.1* is going into p.mask
>> now, and will be removed in 30 days. It contains security
>> vulnerabilities that have been fixed in new major versions from
>> upstream, and upstream no longer provides support for it.
>>
>> In the same vein, =net-nds/openldap-2.2* will go into p.mask August 1st,
>> and be removed September 1st, in line with upstream discontinuing
>> their long-term support for it and releasing the 2.4 series.
>>

> Er. Granted, they're out of date, because we don't have anyone who knows
> ldap (and gongloo never showed up with a promised rewrite), but all of
> our documentation seems to be geared toward openldap-2.1 or so.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldapdns-guide.xml --> is still considered
> "valid"
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml --> is considered
> unmaintained and "invalid", since none of the GDP knows ldap. wouldn't
> mind reinstating it if we can get users to help out with the updates.
>
> Otherwise, we'll probably have to remove all the existing LDAP
> documentation, which is disappointing.
>
> Quick, anyone want to help out with the documents and update them for
> the current way of doing LDAP? :)

You've got several Gentoo developers that have LDAP rolled out in their
offices. robbat2 (obviously, since he maintains the pkg and alot of
great tools), jokey, dev-zero and myself I know for sure. I'm sure we'd
be willing to provide some feedback to the documentation.

But like Robin said in his follow up to your e-mail, nothing is
necessarily broken/wrong with the guide. Just there's better ways to do
stuff.

--
Doug Goldstein <cardoe@gentoo.org>
http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/