List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev]  Re: DB vs SCM (was Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
From:       Steve Long <slong () rathaus ! eclipse ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-01-29 18:15:06

Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Please note, I'm not talking about applications like portage or pkgcore,
>> just the ebuild text files, which I understand have one maintainer?
>
> Many ebuilds are in maintained by a bunch of people via herds.

That's not really an issue for a db app.

>> I appreciate that source control is needed to maintain files over a
>> period of time and to roll back changes. Does that happen with ebuilds?
>>
> Rolling back changes does not happen that often but a history is useful.

Sure, that's why I mentioned having a svn backend if an archive table is not
considered acceptable.

>>   I'm thinking in any case that a db app can save old revisions or use a
>>   svn
>> backend. I'm looking at this from a workflow perspective, in terms
>> especially of the security issue around giving commit access to the whole
>> tree. If the individual maintainer only has permission for those ebuilds
>> s/he is responsible for, it might make it easier to allow new people
>> write access.
>
> I fail to see any benefit from a layer above svn. svn has good access
> control if we want use that built in.

So? Fair enough then.

>>   Sorry if this has all been discussed before.
>>
> Most likely the access control has been discusses some times before. To
> summarize having access to everything is quite useful.

I can understand that; I'm not convinced that giving every dev access to the
whole thing is necessary or desirable, but it may well be how gentoo likes
to operate, and i have no quarrel with that.

>> (Please note: I'm not discussing the mechanisms by which software might
>> be installed for the end-user, rather the back-end which you devs use, of
>> which I admittedly have no experience.)
>>
> So please let people who actually use/know how source control work
> discuss the issue.

Um, I do understand source control and have used it for other stuff. It just
doesn't seem an ideal fit for this purpose. This really was motivated by a
desire to lessen the workload for existing devs, but clearly it doesn't fit
with the way gentoo works. No probs.