List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Make 'nls' use flag more generic
From:       "Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?q?Petten=C3=B2?=" <flameeyes () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-11-26 16:14:57

On Sunday 26 November 2006 16:46, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> It's using gettext? Maybe I'm just clueless (very well possible), but I
> was under the impression that KDE had its own internal language
> handling.
It uses gettext's format, with gettext's utilities for building the .po files
in .mo, and then uses its own internal copy of gettext's functions to load
them.
There's no way to turn off the KLocale support (of course), but it's still
gettext that's being used for the kde-i18n packages, as that is what have
been used to build the package.

So yes, it uses its own internal language handling _and_ it still uses
gettext. Same would apply if a package was using the Perl implementation or
the Ruby bindings.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...