List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] qadeps(?) - useful(?) tool for deps qa
From:       Piotr =?utf-8?q?Jaroszy=C5=84ski?= <peper () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-10-30 14:29:07

> qlist ${CPV} | scanelf -L -n -q -F '%n #F' | tr , ' ' | xargs qfile -C |
> sort -u
>
> This oneliner does more or less what checkrdeps does ...
Didn't know it's so simple. Idea of my script was to also show on which level
and by what these rdpes are satisfied, which can help keeping your rdeps
clean.

> The main problem is that it will _not_ work without using --as-needed...
Nothing is perfect. It still helps a bit.

> > - Checks for system packages in dependencies.
>
> This might be intentional, currently the QA policy about this is not clear.
> See bug #151758 . I don't want to see dependencies over zlib removed for
> instance, you can easily find a way to reproduce packags failing to merge
> because zlib is broken, and emerge -e world does not merge them before zlib
> (the same applies to paludis and pkgcore as far as I can tell).
I didn't say that's always wrong, for example auto* often need exact version
dep. It's more like head-up. Same goes to suspicious rdeps like sed or
doxygen, which can be easily set with RDEPEND=${DEPEND}.

> As I said on that bug, IMHO system dependencies should be stated unless
> obvious (libc, gcc, binutils), problematic for porting (findutils,
> net-tools) or creates circular deps (shadow).
IMHO this should be fixed in portage. If not why would we have system packages
at all?

Comming back to my script - I will be rewriting it in python anyway to learn
this nice lang and how portage really works.

--
Piotr JaroszyƄski
Gentoo Developer