List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
From:       Roy Marples <uberlord () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-09-25 8:14:36

On Monday 25 September 2006 08:35, Noack, Sebastian wrote:
> The workaround is to hack /etc/init.d/checkroot to call `dmesg -n 1` on
> startup, even though in /etc/conf.d/rc is a variable RC_DMESG_LOGLEVEL
> which is set to "1" by default, but it doesn't affect anything.

RC_DMESG_LEVEL is the correct variable - conf.d/rc is in error and will be
fixed in the next version.

> The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
> attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
> started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
> Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
> anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
> it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
> RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].

RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING controls what the "net" dependency fullfills - it does
not and never has started anything automatically.

I believe this new behaviour you are seeing is called COLDPLUG when this
happens at boot time and HOTPLUG there after. These have simple yes/no
settings in conf.d/rc.

Please note that baselayout doesn't actually do any hot/cold plugging itself -
it merely controls udev/hotplug to some extent.

> The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
> /etc/conf.d/rc.

Yes, that allows COLDPLUG/HOTPLUG on everything but net services - it's used
for fine tuning if you like. This is also documented in /etc/conf.d/rc

Thanks

--
Roy Marples <uberlord@gentoo.org>
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)