List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: default USE flags in profiles (oss)
From:       "Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?q?Petten=C3=B2?=" <flameeyes () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-09-24 1:33:50

On Sunday 24 September 2006 03:21, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> How bout changing this flag to "aoss" and making it new default instead
> of oss? mozilla-launcher already has an aoss flag.
A flag that I don't like at all, as it should have probably been "alsa", but
it was difficult to implement without proper usable package.use.mask (will
take time before we can actually use it). This because aoss doesn't enable
ALSA's *oss emulation*, but uses media-libs/alsa-oss to provide an
indirection layer that filters accesses to DSP devices to move the data to
ALSA. A similar thing is done by esddsp, artsdsp, padsp.

> Or wait for per-package USE defaults and use it for oss in alsa-driver
> as an exception.
Yes this is feasible, but for the time being I'd rather not have to receive in
my sound@g.o folder two bugs a day about people wanting OSS emulation in
alsa-driver.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE