List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: want to join gentoo developer team
From:       "S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)" <smibrahim () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-20 18:17:04

Thanks for this cool answer . Ok, i will try my best. going join in amd64
mailing list.

Yep, i am interesting on documentation. I done lot's of work on google
translation and also member of http://ekushey.org which a group that works
for bengla localization.

again thanks for ur suggestion.

On 9/20/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> "S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)" <smibrahim@gmail.com> posted
> 4997275b0609200505t3ec5d6cfm308b368cea37cdf1@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
> below, on  Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:05:52 +0600:
>
> > hi everybody,
> > i am from bangladesh. Have some knowledge on *nix (linux and unix). I
> > like gentoo very much.
> > And runing gentoo x86 on a EM64T  (i will install amd64 tonight).
> >

> > I am very much interested to join with you (gentoo developer team).
> >
> > What is the procedure??
>
> The usual response to that question is something along the lines of this
> quote from the Gentoo Developer Handbook, Introduction, under
> Requirements:
>
> <quote>
> The best way to get noticed [ and to possibly become a Gentoo developer! ]
> is to file intuitive and accurate bug reports at the Gentoo Bugzilla, with
> patches if possible, and to help us out with what you think would make a
> better Gentoo for everyone whether by providing patches for new features,
> submitting new ebuilds, or solving issues with existing ones.
> </quote>
>
> To that I can add the following:
>
> One of the things Gentoo is known for in the Free/Libre and Open Source
> Software community is its relatively good documentation.  Certainly then,
> one could expect to find a fairly rich resource in the Gentoo Developer
> documentation as well, and that is indeed the case.  From the Gentoo home
> page, Documentation home or listing, Gentoo Development Documentation, or
> simply bookmark the following link:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=gentoodev
>
> There you will find several developer oriented resources including the
> Gentoo Developer Handbook which I quoted from above.  These give the
> details, but there's a formal mentoring process and quizzes on ebuilds and
> the Gentoo structure (since as a dev you'll be working with others and
> have a chance to vote on the council and the like).
>
> > By the way, i applied for em64t, that i get from stuffing needs .but not
> > getting any answere.
>
> Probably because you hadn't yet followed the above suggestion, and the
> Gentoo AMD64 arch team (which covers EM64T as well since it's the same
> arch) doesn't (yet) know who you are. Get involved a bit as a user on the
> amd64 IRC channel or mailing list, and if you prove to be helpful, you'll
> soon enough get invited to further participation. Note that the amd64 team
> was the first to introduce ATs, Arch-Testers, as formally recognized
> contributors to the Gentoo community.  That's the way several of the
> latest Gentoo devs started, as ATs, getting to know the devs and other
> ATs.
>
> As you mentioned you are from Bangladesh, you may also be interested in
> the documentation translation team, and also be sure to file any
> localization (l10n) related bugs as you come across them in your
> Gentooing.
> [...]

S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)
Home page: http://lavluda.tripod.com
Blog: http://lavluda.tk
Yahoo!! ID: lavluda MSN ID: lavluda Skype : lavluda