List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Keep Sunrise... But not Here
From:       "Michael Crute" <mcrute () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 17:03:03

On 7/31/06, Patrick Lauer <patrick@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That has been discussed, it would not be a technical problem.
> One reason this should be avoided is control - as soon as sunrise runs
> on non-official hardware (like, say ... hmmm ...
> sunrise.gentooexperimental.org) gentoo has no control at all over it.
>
> Should sunrise have any problems there's no way of pulling the plug!

Should sunrise have any problems I do doubt it would be necessary to
pull the plug... just let the thing implode, in reality if it has
problems outside of Gentoo it doesn't affect Gentoo in any way, just
like the wiki imploding wouldn't cause any problems for the core
Gentoo distro.

> That's why I think it has to be an official project, especially with the
> amount of devs involved.

What does that have to do with anything? Devs are free to work on any
projects they like outside of Gentoo, this would be just another such
project.

> > I know of
> > a few websites that are far better qualified for space on Gentoo
> > infrastructure than Sunrise (gentoo-portage.com, gentoo-wiki.com).
>
> That is a completely different discussion for another day ...

Agree, this was just an example.

> > If Sunrise becomes a wild success then I would take it back to the
> > council for re-inclusion into the Gentoo core, if it bombs nobody gets
> > hurt and it stops the shouting on the lists.
>
> If it bombs you can't kill it on non-gentoo hardware :-)

See above... who cares?

> > I think the council should temporarily block the project until it can
> > prove that it will stand on its own. Just as we expect developers to
> > prove their abilities before they join Gentoo, we should do the same
> > thing for projects like this.
>
> That does not solve any of the perceived issues and removes any
> influence gentoo has over the sunrise overlay. I don't see how this
> fixes any issues, so I'm against it.

Well... this would fix everyone being pissy about it "corrupting
Gentoo" because it would be outside of the walls of the core distro
and would have no effect on it but it would solve the problem of
getting "extraneous" ebuilds to interested users faster than the
official tree does. This is just my $0.02 as a user but it seems to
make a hell of a lot more sense than shouting about how pointless the
project is.

-Mike