List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
From:       Daniel Gryniewicz <dang () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-07-30 16:46:32

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 15:50 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Friday 28 July 2006 20:51, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > Robert Cernansky wrote:
> > > If I have some application that is not included in portage why
> > > I decide to make an ebuild? Because I hope that then it will be
> > > accepted and included to portage, so maintained by developers (big
> > > thanks for this). If I have to take care of package + ebuild +
> > > dependencies, I'll rather choose not to make an ebulid but compile
> > > package right from .tar.gz archive.
> >
> > Many people disagree with you here, that's why overlays exist. Somebody
> > wants to use Portage to manage ebuilds that aren't yet in the actual tree.
>
> I'm one of those. Portage namely is also a package manager allowing what using
> the tarbal method does not: file tracking and deinstallation.
>
> Paul

FWIW, my company uses Gentoo and overlays extensively to manage our
workstations and testbeds.  The packages we have are not suitable for
inclusion in portage (for a number of reasons), and we have no intention
of ever submitting them.

Overlays are a *great* way of customizing a local network of boxes to be
different than upstream Gentoo for whatever reason.  I, personally, find
this to be a more useful function than a place to hold ebuilds not-yet
in portage (although, I do that also).

--
Daniel Gryniewicz
Gentoo AMD64 Team / Gentoo Gnome Herd / Gentoo Kernel Herd / Gentoo Printing Herd