List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Last rites: sys-apps/hwdata
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-07-27 14:59:57

The sys-apps/hwdata package isn't marked stable on any architecture.  It
is the upstream Red Hat version of the package, and was the last version
that would work successfully with "hwsetup" as we use on the releases.
Since this won't be getting any updates from upstream (as they've moved
onto an incompatible format) and it is 100% replaced with
sys-apps/hwdata-gentoo, I recommend its removal from the tree in only a
few days.  There's really no point in keeping this package around, as we
aren't using it, and it won't ever get updated with new hardware.

If there's no objections in the next few days, I'm going to punt it and
do a package move to hwdata-gentoo, just in case.

--=20
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team