List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
From:       Donnie Berkholz <spyderous () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-06-21 14:03:04

Stefan Schweizer wrote:
> Why you ask? Because a user does not care if packageX uses qt3 or qt4, he
> just wants to use it.
>
> But why do we have two useflags then?
> Because the user should be able to disable optional support for either qt3
> or qt4 or both for every package.

There's a significant enough use case for wanting only qt3 or only qt4
on your system that it might be worth considering it.

>> I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have
>> some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"...
>
> right you are. And since we already have a qt3 and a qt4 useflag in the tree
> it is a good move to do this right.

Agreed on this. So right now, we've got a couple of options.

- Use case is user wants program with its best qt. USE=qt is an easy
option. The other option is USE="qt3 qt4", and apps should always pick
the best of the enabled qt versions if they are mutually exclusive.

- Use case is avoiding installing either qt3 or qt4. Impossible with
USE=qt, possible with USE="qt3/qt4".

Thanks,
Donnie