List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
From:       "Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <msterret () coat ! com>
Date:       2006-06-21 6:39:29

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:

> Am I making sense?  This looks a lot like the gtk/gtk2 flags, but
> inverted; according to use.desc, gtk builds gtk+-1 unless gtk2 is set,
> whereas the above builds highest version compatible with the
> package unless a lower version is specifically requested through USE.

That's not what use.desc says gtk does.  You just illustrated how confusing
the gtk/gtk2 use flag situation has been.

The gtk use flag doesn't specify a version.  It just says that the package
should build against *a* version of gtk+.  The gtk2 flag was a way to
prefer the gtk2 interface over the gtk1 interface if a package supported
both.

Thankfully, we've mostly moved past the gtk/gtk2 use flag mess now.
Let's try not to make it quite so hard for people with the qt toolkit.

Michael Sterrett
   -Mr. Bones.-
mr_bones_@gentoo.org