List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev]  [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
From:       Donnie Berkholz <spyderous () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-06-21 1:34:20

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> I am talking about qt. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking of KDE
> users, that are, casually, the main users of Qt-related stuff.
>
> In this particular issue, KDE (3) users are the main part, they need poppler
> and other stuff built for Qt 3. There are still just a few packages that
> relies on Qt 4 right now.

OK, so we can add qt3 to make.defaults.

> Still, I'm not for the idea of just putting qt to mean Qt 3 and discard Qt 4
> until it's "the chosen one", not only for a compatibility reason with
> migration from older version, but also because we do have people using gentoo
> for KDE 4 development (I happen to know a few of them), and they need Qt 4
> support.
>
> I want to save both of them, asking a little bit more work for the developers,
> as they usually know what to do, rather than for users, which might as well
> be half clueless.

I don't see how any other suggestion is simpler than mine for developers
or users. Maybe I missed something in skimming the discussion.

To summarize:

- USE=qt enables support for the most current qt.

- USE=qt3 enables qt3 if there is also qt4 interface. This will be an
easy switch now, because very few packages have a qt4 flag, and it will
get progressively harder.

- Add qt3 to make.defaults to avoid breaking things like KDE.

I suppose it will also need some clause for the mutually exclusive cases:
USE="qt -qt3" enables most recent
any USE combination containing qt3 forces back to qt3

Thanks,
Donnie