List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] mii-tool single distribution
From:       "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-05-31 20:08:14

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 09:36:07PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> schrieb:
> > On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 01:06:33PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > > JFYI: I've made an mii-tool single distribution, which is
> > > independent from the rest of the net-tools stuff.
> > > http://www.metux.de/articles/oss/mii-tool-1_9_1_1
> > > This is especially interesting for embedded systems with plenty
> > > of space.
> > What functionality is there in mii-diag that has not been moved to
> > ethtool's -s option?
>
> Actually, I didn't check that.
> This small mii-tool is for embedded systems, where space really
> matters and ethtool already might be too big.
I get a 40k binary for ethtool, vs. a 15k one for mii-tool.
They could probably both be smaller with the use of uclibc/dietlibc, since
ethtool does a lot of string comparison.

ethtool, being more actively maintained than mii-tool, also supports more PHY
hardware, gigabit, and other things that mii-tool doesn't.

ethtool -s DEVNAME \
	[ speed 10|100|1000 ] \
	[ duplex half|full ]	\
	[ port tp|aui|bnc|mii|fibre ] \
	[ autoneg on|off ] \
	[ phyad %d ] \
	[ xcvr internal|external ] \
	[ wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d... ] \
	[ sopass %x:%x:%x:%x:%x:%x ] \
	[ msglvl %d ]

# mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
	Supported ports: [ MII ]

Probably worthwhile just to push a rewrite of ethtool into busybox, with
optional disabling of some of it's portions of code, to get the best size
benefit out of it.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@gentoo.org