List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27 Proposal - Feedback Requested
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-05-30 12:03:06

On Monday 29 May 2006 23:29, Mike Kelly wrote:
> In particular, I know that at one point there was a push for the user
> info files to be XML

not really, it was just an idea i had at the time ... ive been over it a few
times since with the portage guys and it makes no real sense to do it in xml

also, current GLEP 27 should say nothing of xml

> , but I think it may be easier to implement them as
> simple shell variable files (like /etc/conf.d/*),

using shell variables just leads to quoting problems

> since my plan was to
> write the core of the implementation in shell (e.g. as an eclass).

i fail to see where eclasses play any role in the scheme of things

the point of having all the logic in portage is that ebuilds need not care
about anything

> My proposal is available at:
> <http://www.pioto.org/~pioto/gentoo/soc2006/glep27-proposal.txt>. Any
> feedback would be appreciated; I wanna get things started on the right
> foot.

we shouldnt give a way to add extra custom options since we're back to square
one in terms of portability (useradd is only used on GNU systems, not
Darwin/BSD)

the current format last time i bugged the portage peeps was simple:
key: value
-mike