List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] removal of cgi-based gwebcache servers
From:       Jon Hood <squinky86 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-04-26 4:54:22

If anyone has ever tried to run a gnutella gwebcache, they've probably
noticed about 8-10 requests a second. And it increases during high-usage
hours. This makes it useless to run cgi-based scripts unless you have a
super-powerful database and web server. Since the usefulness of such
scripts has gone to practically 0, they are no longer maintained
upstream and I recommend the removal of them from portage. The following
packages headed for the guillotine are:

net-p2p/phpgnucacheii
net-p2p/gwebcache
net-p2p/perlgcache

The recommended package for anyone wanting to support the gnutella
network is net-p2p/ghostwhitecrab, which is its own built-in server.
Ghostwhitecrab will continue to be maintained both upstream and in portage.

If someone would like to save these packages from a gruesome death,
speak now. If not, I'll post another message to gentoo-dev right before
the massacre, and everyone's welcome to join #gentoo-commits to watch
the gore.

-Jon