List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] 2006.0 - me having a bad day?
From:       Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin () thinrope ! net>
Date:       2006-02-27 11:33:19

Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > I do not mean to cop an attitude, but please give me some time here to
> > figure this out. This is the first time I myself am handling the bouncer
> > administration for a release, and I would really appreciate some
> > patience on your part.
> >
> > I am updating the page as fast as I find an error in it. Thanks.
>
> Thank you for your effort, Jeffrey!
>
> It may turn a good day after all :-)
>
> Have you (or RT) actually thought of providing a pivoted list for downloads?
> I feel it is more reasonable to first choose your arch (i.e. on what hardware
> you want to install Gentoo) and then see what options you have.
>
> As opposed to the following imaginary n00b:
> 1. I want a "Universal CD"!
>
> 2. Hmm, it is not that universal if I need to choose my arch (I've read
> the link on arches!)!
>
> 3. Hey, wait a minute! What is that 64bit - 32bit userland ??? What is 64bit? What \
> is userland? (wasn't coverd under arches)
> 4. Lets do some research... ok, I got it there is difference between kernel that is \
> 64bit and userland, cool! They should have stated: 64bit kernel + 32bit userland \
> (and a plus is better than a minus, even if it is a hyphen)
> 5. Hmm, but I am using P4 after all, so I need x86!
>
> 6. Oops, where is the x86 Universal CD?
>
> 7. OK, there is a lonely x86 link under "Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD", probably that is \
> what I need. But why did the change the name???
> 8. Oh cool they have torrents here! Let me get that x86 Live CD with my torrent \
> tool! Should probably be faster... (click on the torrent link)
> 9. Hmm, that x86-livecd-2006.0 should probably do. It is a CD image, so probably is \
> an ISO file... Click!
> 10. Lets get some coffee, I am tired. But wait, what are these stages bla-bla \
> (reading the handbook) OK, great, I might need them (didn't read that thoroughly \
> after all, kind of tired). The torrents are not that fast after all and there are \
> not enough seeds for stage3-x86-2006.0... (click back)
> 11. And where is the x86 package CD after all!!! Oh, it might be "part"
> of the LiveCD? I wonder, but is there any documentation (looking around
> the page...) Anywhere I can see the contents of the ISO files [1] (looking
> and clicking around...) no.
>
> 12. Sip from a big mug of coffee - Gentoo is not that hard after all, lets
> wait and see what am I downloading...
>

> [1] It might be a good idea to implement that.
>

> So sometiing like:
>
> Select your download according to your hardware architecture. (see ...
> for info on architectures or ... for the explanaiton of different CD
> types )
>
> x86 (486, PentiumIII, Celeron... define it better)
> minimal	livecd
>
> amd64 (AMD Athlon64 ...)
> minimal install packages
>

> This will be easier not only for n00bs, I guess and is inspired by the
> "Don't MAKE me think" book on web design/usability.

On a second note, the design of our packages.gentoo.org is not bad at all!
Why not use it? For example see:
http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=net-misc;name=curl

Replace PV with the different CDs (use <acronym title="Short explanation here">),
add the speacial "arches" like 64-32ul with acronym as well.

Dunnow about colors, but use them consistently (with a legend).

Kalin.

--
+-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+