List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] slotted mysql ready for testing (~arch)
From:       Francesco Riosa <vivo () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2006-01-31 2:21:34

As the subject say,
  In less than 24 hours slotted mysql ebuilds will be unmasked, to point
the finger they are:
=dev-db/mysql-4.1.16-r30
=dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30

There is a migration guide [1] that explain some of the magic, thanks to
the editors: Chris White, Jan Kundrát, Joshua Saddler to make it human
readable, beat me instead if it broke your box.

A third one, mysql-5.1.4_alpha-r30, as you can guess this will stay
masked (and yes I did noticed many days ago that 5.1.5 has been
released, just rename the ebuild if you want to give it a try).

The un-slotted counterparts will disappear from the tree at the same time:
=dev-db/mysql-4.1.16
=dev-db/mysql-5.0.17
=dev-db/mysql-5.0.18

The following will survive, without being slotted, either because too
old or because they are the last marked stable in the portage tree.
=dev-db/mysql-3.23.58-r1
=dev-db/mysql-4.0.25-r2
=dev-db/mysql-4.0.26
=dev-db/mysql-4.1.14

At the end February the mysql herd will cooperate with the arch's teams
to test and mark stable the following:
=dev-db/mysql-4.0.26
=dev-db/mysql-4.1.16-r30
=dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30
at that point in time older version will be removed too (3.23.58 is
another story).

Last notice:
emerge -pv =mysql-5.0.18 =mysql-5.0.18-r30
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.18  USE="berkdb cluster extraengine
max-idx-128 perl ssl utf8 -big-tables -debug -minimal -static" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.18-r30  USE="berkdb cluster extraengine
max-idx-128 perl ssl -big-tables -debug -minimal -srvdir -static"

As you can see the non-standard "utf8" use flag has been removed,
nothing bad, it was a easy replace in the my.cnf config file from
"latin1" to "utf8" and vice-versa.
the "srvdir" is easy too, it add support for "datadir" in
"/srv/localhost/mysql" but only for fresh install (see glep 20)

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrade-slotted.xml
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0020.html