List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
From:       MIkey <mikey () badpenguins ! com>
Date:       2006-01-27 14:32:44

Paul de Vrieze wrote:

> First of all, the object to be as fast as possible has been dropped as
> main gentoo goal years ago. Stage 3 is indeed based on an old base. It
> however starts you with a working system in which all assumptions made by
> ebuilds about the system are true. This means one should expect a stage 3
> to have no problems emerging any package. This is not true for a stage 1
> or stage 2.

The expectation of a stage3 having no problems emerging any package is only
true if you don't stray from the preselected desktop-centric USE flags that
were used to build the stage3 in the first place.  When building a suitable
environment for a server, in my case, the very first thing I have to
contend with is blockages and pruning in just the right order.

In my experience, your assumption is reversed.  A build from stage1 does not
run into the problems inherent with a stage3.