List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] PHP Memcached APIs, last rites for dev-libs/memcached-api-php
From:       Lisa Seelye <lisa () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-12-29 11:53:15

For a while the memcached community has had several PHP APIs. The first
one is represented in dev-libs/memcached-api-php and a more recent (and
maintained) version is a PECL version (dev-php4/pecl-memcache and
dev-php5/memcache in the overlay).

The PECL version is probably the best for most users. It's far faster
and has more features.

This post is serving as final notice: I intend to remove
dev-libs/memcached-api-php from the tree on 2006-01-01 (New Year's Day).
If you can't live without this package please make your case.

Points against the package:
o It's www home page no longer has a download link
o Going through the directory of its home page (e.g.,
http://www.danga.com/memcached/dist/) there's no download link and only
appears in an "old" subdir with a notice: "There are several notable
bugs in the PHP clients in this directory. Newer versions from many
people exist all over the web.  See the mailing list.  (Sorry, I'm not a
PHP guy...)"
o The PECL version is faster, maintained, and has more features

--=20
Regards,
Lisa Seelye
GPG: 09CF5 2D6B8 2B72B 997A7 601BC B46B5 561E4 96FC5
http://www.thedoh.com/~lisa/site