List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Slotted MySQL ; mysql-herd
From:       "Francesco R." <vivo () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-10-28 16:57:04

There are these ebuilds in cvs from few minutes:

mysql-4.0.26-r30.ebuild
mysql-4.1.15-r30.ebuild
mysql-5.0.15-r30.ebuild

these ones contain a starting point ebuild to make a slotted mysql
installation.

The motivations that push this choice are both developement and user
side. Making a long story short there are two points:

We want to support every major.minor version of mysql, having slotted
mysql make life easyer to developers in testing all supported versions.

User side, slotted mysql server and client make possible a smooter
upgrade, keeping downtimes to the minimum (a stop and start in the best
case).

Further these days I was wondering to populate a bit more "mysql-herd"
of developers and packages, also to cover my personal lack of knowledge
on some languages (deeper explanation in private mails ;-)

So if you're interested in join the herd, let me know (sorry non-dev, I
cannot mentor these days).

I'm listed on devaway from 2005-10-01 to 2005-10-10, will answer when
I'll come back.

Cheers,
Francesco Riosa