List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
From:       Ned Ludd <solar () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-10-27 14:14:38

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:40 -0400, Olivier Crête wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-27-10 at 09:36 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> > >
> > > Btw embedded has already different way to archive the same result (ok,
> > > removing headers and static libs after isn't really the cleanest
> > > solution but works fine)
> >
> > The hardest part is probably to build all these packages as the finals
> > shouldn't have headers while the intermediates (used to build other
> > finals against) should.
>
> Again, why not leave everything in the packages and use INSTALL_MASK on
> embedded systems ?

This thread can end. ciaranm provided an example yesterday and his case
is pretty much for c++ templates and the cases I'm making are for
things like (example thats no longer valid) wireless-tools pulling in
linux headers and or source into a $ROOT via $RDEPEND due some eclass.

INSTALL_MASK was created for embedded systems by iggy to partially deal
with this sorta problem. It helps but it's not the end all solution.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>