List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Dirt: To shove under the rug or not shove under the rug? (aka another round of USE_
From:       Jason Stubbs <jstubbs () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-09-28 8:03:51

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 15:23, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Jason Stubbs wrote:
> | On Wednesday 28 September 2005 13:19, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> | IUSE="baz bop"
> | iuse_expand VIDEO_CARDS foo bar
>
> This has the ring of hack to me, if it's something to be used in ebuilds.

USE_EXPAND was a hack to begin with. It's broken by design. If you don't like
hacks, don't use USE_EXPAND at all.

Brian just noted another reason for using IUSE instead of IUSE_EXPAND; using
IUSE_EXPAND would mean the entire cache would be invalidated any time that
USE_EXPAND changes.

> |>In addition, it saves IUSE from having super-long flags:
> |>
> |>IUSE="video_cards_foo video_cards_bar video_cards_baz ... " -- picture
> |>that repeated 10 times. It's just plain ugly and overly long.
> |
> | It doesn't save anything because internally it needs to be done that way
> | regardless. The only difference between the two patches is that one has
> | IUSE="..." and the other has IUSE_EXPAND="...".
>
> Right on, but portage is a lot more internal than ebuilds.

iuse_expand as implemented above is just as internal as IUSE_VIDEO_CARDS
(which is an undocumented variable mind you).

> |>Most importantly IMHO, it suggests that users should set
> |>USE="video_cards_foo" instead of VIDEO_CARDS="foo".
> |
> | Users don't see it either way, so I can't see how it suggests anything.
>
> Let me narrow that to users who look at ebuilds to figure out wtf is
> going on with USE_EXPAND because they have no idea how to use it.

Which is exactly what this thread is looking to stop users from needing to do.

--
Jason Stubbs