List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed shift of files in the tree of non	profiles
From:       Francesco R <vivo () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-08-30 13:31:22

Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 01:03 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
>

>>On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 03:42:25AM -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
>>

>>>Hola all.
>>>
>>>Straight to the point, I'm proposing that the following files-
>>>arch.list
>>>categories
>>>use.desc
>>>use.local.desc
>>>package.mask
>>>updates
>>>

>>Addition to this list: thirdpartymirrors .
>>

>Question about thirdpartymirrors (this is for everyone, not just
>Brian)...
>
>What is the preferred method for listing mirrors, just listing the site
>name, or listing the site name plus path to the particular item?

example from mysql mirrors:

ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/mysql
http://mirror.sit.wisc.edu/mysql
http://mysql.orst.edu

The mirror item should be the minimum common denominator between the
mirrors. In this specific case because the mirror is usable also for
other products of mysql.

>The reason that I ask is the 3dgamers mirror rotation could have the
>paths added to it, which would actually shorten a lot of SRC_URI's in
>quite a few games ebuilds.

there are always excepitions ;-) You are speaking of paths that will
*never* change right ?