List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] why does gcc-3.4.x depend on gcc-3.3.x /
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-08-29 17:18:14

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 02:46 +0200, Bjarke Istrup Pedersen wrote:

> I must say I have been wondering about this for a while too.
> A solution might be add some sort of flag to packages that are binary,
> and then let portage install libstdc++ the first time you install this
> kind of package.

You're right.

We could even make it a dependency based on the gcc version.  Wouldn't
that be neat?  Maybe something like this:

|| ( <=gcc-3.3*
	libstdc++-v3 )

For the humor impaired, this was a joke.  Why is it a joke?  Because
you're missing the non-binary packages that this completely breaks.
Want a cool, small example?  Install gcc 3.3, configure it as your
primary compiler, emerge fluxbox, upgrade to gcc 3.4 and remove all
traces of gcc 3.3 and libstdc++-v3, then try running fluxbox.
Basically, vapier got tired of all of the "my $foo package is broken"
bugs because people didn't realize that anything that linked against the
older gcc would *require* being recompiled to work properly.  The
solution?  Add this library by default.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager