List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] trouble with make_desktop_entry
From:       Nick Rout <nick () rout ! co ! nz>
Date:       2005-08-29 2:19:17

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:54:41 -0400
Mike Frysinger wrote:

> On Sunday 28 August 2005 09:42 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> > 1. the resulting desktop file is called laby-laby.desktop rather than
> > just laby.desktop
>
> the name doesnt matter just ignore it

OK

> > 2. the "Comment" in the desktop file says "Comment=Based on the eutils
> > eclass"
>
> your ebuild is using 'inherit' incorrectly

Got you, in fact I had the eclasses howto \
(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=2) open as I \
got your message and see that "The contents of the eclass will be sourced at this \
point."

All makes sense now, I moved the inherit line to the top (below the header)
and all is fine.

Thanks for your help. ebuilds look easyish when you first look at them,
but actually writing even a small one requires a lot of learning. Like a
lot of code, easier to muddle your way through "what this file does"
than "make one yourself".

Thanks for continuing to make the system so powerful boys and girls.