List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev]  Re: why does gcc-3.4.x depend on gcc-3.3.x / libstdc++?
From:       Sven_Köhler <skoehler () upb ! de>
Date:       2005-08-28 17:09:18

>>I must say I have been wondering about this for a while too.
>>A solution might be add some sort of flag to packages that are binary,
>>and then let portage install libstdc++ the first time you install this
>>kind of package.
>
> You mean, like have binary packages depend on
> virtual/libstdc++-SOMEVERSION and have virtual/libstdc++ provided by gcc
> or the split-out libstdc++ ebuild?

Some packages event depend on libstdc++-v3 even if gcc-3.3 is installed.
I suggested virtuals for each libstdc++-version a long time ago since
they are provided by either gcc or seperate libstdc++ ebuilds. It was
rejected by i think vapier or azarah.

Furthermore, i suggested that portage may analyse installed binaries for
dependency on a specific libstc++ version and it may record an
additional depency for such packages.
This would solve the "emerge depclean uninstalls in-use libstdc++
library" easily. Of course, this might need heavy changes to portage.