List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev] EBUILD_FORMAT support
From:       Paul de Vrieze <pauldv () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-08-26 15:20:50

On Friday 26 August 2005 17:11, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 16:58, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:50:52 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@gentoo.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> > | ps. People please be aware that this is still alpha in the sense of
> > | not being complete. For better working it should probably support
> > | if statements properly, and at least do variable substitution. It
> > | would mean that the parser would have to retain a state etc.
> >
> > Isn't this pretty much a waste of time if it can't handle all the
> > code in versionator? We're trying to move people away from ugly
> > unreliable manual substitutions towards readable, maintainable code
> > using the eclass...
>
> With lack of variable substitution support I mean that it just forwards
> the variable substitutions to the calling application (output). It
> should probably also be made more aware of the variables that are
> allways extended like USE and DEPEND.

I just checked the versionator eclass though, and indeed it wouldn't
support it. Versionator uses functions inside the variables. The parser
does not parse functions at all beyond being able to determine their end.
Perhaps it would be best to handle versionator specially and internalize
the functions. While it is possible to interpret the bash functions this
would mean full bash function duplication, make the parser more complex
and diminish the speed of the parser.

I could even do this function mimicking in such a way that nonsupported
functions automatically get signaled as requiring compatibility mode
(parser is uncertain about it's results, and the old parser should be
used).

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze