List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] net community servers, in what category?
From:       Christian Parpart <trapni () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-07-20 22:36:22

On Thursday 21 July 2005 00:09, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> So you're splitting this into separate ebuilds, or it comes that way
> from upstream?

Well, upstream is me, however, the package gets released in a big tarball
containing a global level configure script that can handle a all-at-once
installation. Each module within (those I mentioned as ebuild) contain itself
a ./configure as they can be installed seperately. This - I decided - not
just for killing my time, but for providing splitted server installations,
like multiple www nodes (installing www-apache/mod_yacs and its DEPENDs) and
the real server node installing yacsd (possibly others, like yb, if needed)

That's why I split them up.

> > dev-libs/libyacsutil
> >     - the support library (client/server)
> > community-libs/libyacs
> >     - the YaCS core framework library (server)
>
> dev-libs

well, seems to be the best place then.

> > community-server/yacsd
> >     - the UNIX daemon process finally serving the community
>
> net-misc, net-www
[...]
> > community-server/yacs-meta
> >     - the meta package for YaCS, in case everything has to be
> >       run on a single server
>
> net-misc or net-www

for sure not net-www as it has nothing to do with www et al. so, net-misc
seems best then.

[...]
> You shouldn't create categories for anything less than about 10 to 20
> ebuilds.  The more the better, really.

I understand.

So, as Oliview proposed the same like you, I gonna stick with this then.

Thanks all,
Christian Parpart.

--
 00:23:29 up 119 days, 13:31,  0 users,  load average: 1.47, 1.90, 2.09