List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Package moves as repocopies
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-06-29 13:57:45

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 15:35 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Although this would require a request to someone with shell access to
> the CVS box, it would preserve all the history of the moved packages.
> The loss of history is (IMO) the _primary_ problem of moving packages.

I definitely agree.  Losing the history really stinks, especially if you
have to pull something from the Attic.  Not only this, but it affects
moves outside of the portage tree, as well.  As a good example,
livecd-functions.sh was moved from baselayout to livecd-tools.  All the
history was lost.  Luckily, it hadn't changed too much, and the broken
part of the script was done by me after the move, so I was able to find
it easily, but what if it had been before the move?

--=20
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux