List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] i have an idea ! (erescue) ro-overlays
From:       James Northrup <glamdring-inc () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-05-25 16:50:15

overall I'm quite pleased with genkernel and have relegated much
tedium to its functions over time.  perhaps it's a worthy mule for
more responsibility.

I have mirror volumes which have survived almost 8 years with 2nd and
third generation drives, motherboard, and architecture (32->64 bit).

in those years, the newer revs which don't jump up and bite me in the
ass probably go unnoticed..

abstractly speaking, the clearest working example of what breaks is
oft-times a recent kernel on a recent install disk.  slopping an
install disk on a modern hard-drive consumes but a gnat's real-estate.

using a symlink foundation does a pretty good job of allowing emerge
to over-write the static known-good binaries with dynamics, but
occasionally the gcc and/or libc is a repeatable failure and having
the ro overlay handy allows wholesale excision of the broken
installs, esp on young architectures.

for whatever reasons, I pack my cd-rom drive bays with hard drives,
and install with a cd-rom hanging off the side of the case tethered
by its cables... right about the time its a bootable system the cd-
rom comes off and the box is tucked into some crawl-space or other
behind desks, shelves, etc. and hopefully forgotten.