List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Logging on IRC
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2005-01-31 17:43:57

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 08:24 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> > There's no need to sue, your bot will just be banned for violating privacy
> > considerations. That way, your bot can reside in #some_devoid_channel and log
> > as much as it desires, and the rest of us won't need to worry about receiving
> > any more "enlargement" email than we already get on a daily basis.
>
> What privacy considerations? There are none in a public place. If it
> were a private, invite-only IRC channel, perhaps that would be different.

I tend to agree.  The bot would not be gathering any information that
anyone else couldn't do themselves.  There is nothing stopping anyone
from putting in a stats bot, except for us denying someone the ability
to do so because they made the mistake of telling us about it first.  I
mean, we're talking about information taken from public channels on a
public network.  It would be a bit different if we were talking about a
private channel on a private server, only reachable via encrypted
methods, but we're not.  We can safely assume that any correspondence,
whether public or private, is not private or confidential when using an
unencrypted protocol over a network that we have no control over.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager