List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] exist an automated ebuilds removal ?
From:       Francesco Riosa <francesco () pnpitalia ! it>
Date:       2004-12-31 13:58:45

Stuart Herbert wrote:

>Hi Francesco,
>
>I don't support this proposal.  I've added some constructive critisism below.

Thanks I love constructive critisism, it's difficult to find them theese
days

>On Friday 31 December 2004 02:56, Francesco Riosa wrote:
>

>>Abstract
>>There is no automated removal of ebuilds
>>

>There is a case for automated removal of some ebuilds, but I don't believe
>that this is it.

With your help (read constructive critisism) I will try to better
explain my motivation and to understund myself if they are correct.

>>Motivation
>>Portage is formed by now from more than 2**12 packages and more than
>>2**14 ebuilds. This one explodes in a portage tree of more than 100000
>>files.
>>

>Why is this a motivation?  If the size of the portage tree is an issue, you'd
>need to explain the actual issue.

Here I made a pair of  assumptions:
. a wide choice is good for the user, may be only a bit more time
consuming to choose from.
. have a wide tree need a wide effort from developer and maintainer.
. portage tree is something that travel a lot over internet, so its size
is important for both sides, client and server

>>The idea is try to see if some of theese are unused from the users,
>>individuate which ones and remove them.
>>

>Hrm.  You'll never get the data you need to make this decision automatically,
>and this is where the idea falls down imho.

may be, probably it will be, but difficult be sure of that not trying it
before, you need to valuate the effort to analize/try this solution, if
it's too high the whole should be abandoned.

>>Specification
>>webserver logs will be used to have some statistics, since there are 185
>>mirrors listed in gentoo mirror page, you should choose to monitor some
>>of theese (at least 20%) in various country.
>>

>The decision of which packages to remove would be based on a sampled subset of
>the download data from the Gentoo mirror sites?

yes I can't see how to implement this part better :(

>How will you track the packages that are downloaded from the upstream site?
>This can happen for a number of reasons, not limited to
>
>a) mirror is out of date

two solutions,
- simply ignore outdated mirrors, we don't suppose to monitor them all
- shift the time slice, we will consider 4 month starting from 5 month ago

>b) upstream has their own mirrors, which the ebuild tries first

I don't fully understand this (english), but I think it's assimilable to
c) and d)

>c) package has RESTRICT=nomirror
>d) package has RESTRICT=fetch

There are 485 ebuild with nomirror and 165 ebuilds with fetch
restrictions, this is about 4 % of the totale ebuilds number, theese
will be hand moved.
e) some users have a local mirror or a shared distfiles dir for more pc,
this will lower their weight in the statistic.
unsolved

>>If all the files owned from one ebuild are not been downloaded in the
>>last 4 month the ebuild shoud be moved in alternate portage tree
>>(portage_attic), the files included only from that ebuild should follow it.
>>tar.gz should be moved also to an alternate tree (distfile_attic)
>>portage_attic and distfile_attic should be public but not from the
>>mirrors (or on only few ones).
>>These are not to be managed from the gentoo team, nor in emerge script,
>>the user can download them in his overlay if he/she need it.
>>

>This replaces the simplicity of 'emerge --sync' and 'emerge <pkg>' which is a
>definite advantage over (say) RPM-based distros.

The replace should not be so traumatic thinking in a statistic way. the
equation should sound like this:
[n.of ebuild/packages removed] * [cx of small tree advantages]  >
[missed hit of emerge foobar] * [cx of  unsatisfaction of build an
overlay for that one]  + [developer effort needed]

>>Rationale
>>Chances are that this can save resources of gentoo team, rsync server
>>resources, space on mirrors.
>>

>"Chances are"?  Have you identified real resource problems which will be
>addressed by this solution?  It sounds like you have a solution looking for a
>problem.

I've not identified real resources problems, you can have a wider view
of the whole stuff if the other seems reasonable you can choose to
analyze this.

>>Backwards Compatibility
>>Need hacking from the user. But users that need unusual stuff generally
>>are also users that well know what they are doing.
>>

>Unusual, yes ... but this proposal doesn't demonstrate that it will separate
>unusual from simply unused.

Very opinable but they shoul be threated the same.

>This section doesn't address dependency issues.  Some of the packages moved to
>the attic may be a dep for another package.  How will that be handled?

Two way, if the package is required from another both will be downloaded
(not deterministic), in every case a database of dependancies shold be
kept and enquired

>Best regards,
>Stu

Best regards